Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Repurposed Window Cottage Sign

Custom Cottage Sign from a Repurposed Window  | Denise on a Whim
Maybe it's the freezing cold weather that we're currently stuck in.
Maybe it's the old window frame.
Or maybe it's just cottage-envy, plain and simple.
But I think this might just be my favorite custom sign ever!
I got an email from a customer at the store where I have my booth.
She and her family have a cottage and have always wanted a sign for it.
She liked what she saw in my booth, I guess, and decided to give me a try.

I started the process by looking through my junk
to figure out what I wanted to use for her new sign.
Once we agreed on using an old window,
I sent her some concepts of how the sign could look and she chose this one...
Design Concept | Repurposing an Old Window as a New Sign | Denise on a Whim
Next, I cleaned up the old window.
Not my favorite part of the process but most necessary when dealing with old junk!
I scraped off some of the chipping white paint
and gave her a good bath!

Then I measured and cut some boards to attach to the window.
I stained them with Annie Sloan dark wax.
It's such a beautiful color on bare wood.
Then I screwed them onto the back of the window.
Repurposing an Old Window as a New Sign | Denise on a Whim
Once the boards were in place, I added a light coat of white chalkpaint,
being careful to not carry the brush strokes to the edge of the window,
leaving some of the wood exposed.
I next took a damp cloth and softened the edges of my brush strokes by wiping gently.
It gave the appearance of an already weathered paint job.
Weathered Paint Appearance on a New Cottage Sign from a Repurposed Window  | Denise on a Whim
After allowing the white paint to dry, 
I applied my vinyl stencil and began painting the letters.
The main part of the sign is painted with Annie Sloan Aubusson Blue,
a favorite of mine.
Aubusson Blue Chalkpaint on a Custom Cottage Sign from a Repurposed Window  | Denise on a Whim
I also used Annie Sloan in Barcelona Orange,
along with CeCe Caldwell's Santa Fe Turquoise and Tarverse City Cherry.
Each line of names represents a different branch of the family that uses the cottage.
Chalkpaint on a New Cottage Sign from a Repurposed Window  | Denise on a Whim
I adore the chippy window, of course,
and am so glad I thought of using it as a frame for the sign!
Chippy White Window Framing a New Cottage Sign  | Denise on a Whim
It's done other than some outdoor polyeurathane that I need to put on it.
Once the weather warms up a bit,
(my goodness, hopefully soon!)
the Dieleman's can enjoy their new cottage sign
every bit as much as I enjoyed making it for them!
Custom Cottage Sign from a Repurposed Window  | Denise on a Whim

Let's keep in touch...
Your comments make me smile :) 'Til next time!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and read all of your comments. They make my day! I'm sorry I can't reply to every one of them, but I sure do love reading them and appreciate every one!

Pin It button on image hover