Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Teal and Lime Green Dry Sink Makeover

A real eye-catcher! Dry Sink Makeover in Teal and Green by Denise On a Whim
This dry sink was nothing special. Just your standard assembly-required piece of furniture with a very dark finish. Because of it's original dark look, I planned on painting it white and distressing the edges. But things took a turn for the better. ( I think anyway!)

 I began with a little prep work.
I took the doors off and the drawers out.
Got all the hardware off.
Cleaned everything up nicely.
And started with the white.
Lime Green and dry-brushed Teal furniture makeover by Denise On a Whim

I put on a shabby coat of white.
Shabby as in chic.
Not shabby as in a lack of care.
Shabby white paint finish by Denise On a Whim

Then I added Spring Hill Green on the cabinet doors.
2 coats (not quite as shabby as the white).
A wet rag worked great for distressing these cupboard doors by Denise On a Whim

A wet rag worked great for distressing these cupboard doors by Denise On a Whim

I also used the green on the top 4 small drawers.
A little bit of dry brushing adds character to this dry sink makeover by Denise On a Whim

I painted the larger two drawers with white.
Teal and Lime Green, partnered with white, make such a pretty, eye-popping combination on this makeover by Denise On a Whim


And then I distressed.
Wet rag on unwaxed paint. Mostly just the edges.
Letting that too-dark-for-a-whole-piece-of-furniture finish show through.
Then added wax.Distressing unwaxed chalk paint with a wet rag is very easy and effective / Denise On a Whim

I thought I was done.
I attached the doors and realized...
I forgot to do anything with the inside!

So I got my brushes back out.
This time, I used Peacock.
Adding the Peacock Blue on the inside gives this piece even more vibrance!

I also had to paint the insides of the drawers.
I had forgotten those, too.
Please, lest you think I'm really losing it,
bear in mind I had 4 children (and a kazoo) in my house during most of this process.
I can't be blamed. Really. It was the kazoo.
Adding the Peacock Blue on the inside of the drawers gives this piece even more character!

But, "wait," you might be thinking...
"This dry sink has teal on the outside, too.
You said you only painted it white and green.
Denise, maybe you really are losing it."
Dry-brushed teal blue over white on a dry sink makeover from Denise On a Whim

"No," I say, "I'm really not losing it."
(I'll never admit to it anyway!) 

The Peacock looked so nice with the Spring Hill Green.
I decided the outside wasn't done after all.
I sort of hate it when that happens!
But the result is much better,
So I'm ok with the extra work. This time anyway.
Dry-brushed teal blue over white on a dry sink makeover from Denise On a Whim

While painting the insides,
I used my nearly dry brush to rub the teal onto the trim
around the bottom of the cabinet
and the entire top portion of the dry sink.
And added it to that hardware on the two larger drawers, too.
Edge Distressing from Denise On a Whim

And, by gosh, THEN it was finished! 
Love the colors on this piece from Denise On a Whim!
How do you like it?
I seriously couldn't be more pleased!

Let's keep in touch...
Your comments make me smile :) 'Til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and read all of your comments. They make my day! I'm sorry I can't reply to every one of them, but I sure do love reading them and appreciate every one!

Pin It button on image hover