Thursday, January 31, 2013

Chicken Wire Memo Board


I purchased a box of frames at an auction for $3 last summer and, imagine my surprise, when I found this gorgeous little beauty in there! This frame was originally all gold (and quite ugly). But just look at some of the details on this thing...

I started off on this project by painting the gorgeous details with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint™ in Graphite. I then added some home-made aqua chalk paint (a leftover accent color from Eric's bathroom makeover). I dry brushed the aqua and didn't try to cover the details very well. This technique works much like a dark wax over the paint... all the architectural gorgeousness of this frame just pops right out with the Graphite underneath the aqua. But I did put a heavier coat on the straight lines of the frame to cover the original color. 

I had Eric staple some chicken wire on the back. And this was not without incident!! No one got injured (except my frame), but I thought I might have to shoot Eric. Okay. That's a bit strong. Maybe I just considered punching him. lol. Despite my warnings to the contrary, he actually stapled right through this wonderful frame! In his defense, however, it was on the side, not in the details, and he did fix the problem with some handy-dandy wood filler. Thank goodness he didn't staple through any critical areas! Who knows what might have happened... :)

Once that was done, it was just a matter of adding some clothespins for a vintage memo board! No more ugly, just plenty of gorgeousness! 





Anything Blue Friday at The Dedicated House

5 comments:

  1. I love this frame! And what a great way to repurpose it. Fabulous job! :)
    Have a great weekend.
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly. We really got lucky with this find! :)

      Delete
  2. Really cute! love this idea, the chicken wire is brilliant!
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking out the project Jenna. I really appreciate it. :)

      Delete
  3. So very pretty! Thank you for sharing. You will be one of the features tomorrow at the Anything Blue Friday party at The Dedicated House. Hopefully, I'll have a feature button made in time for the party. lol. Hope to see you again at the party. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDeicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you and read all of your comments. They make my day! I'm sorry I can't reply to every one of them, but I sure do love reading them and appreciate every one!

Pin It button on image hover